“Warning! My dog ​​ate poison bait. Please take care of your dog! “. These or similar messages can be read again and again on social media. Dog owners point out locations and issue warnings. Unfortunately, it happens so often that food is especially prepared in order to harm animals. However, your dog are not only be poisoned with just such baits, but other drugs or foods are also dangerous for him . If your dog has ingested something poisonous, its chance of survival depends on whether you act quickly and properly.

In this article you will learn how to recognize dog poisoning and what the appropriate first aid measures should be taken.

dog vomits
Your dog vomiting can be a sign of poisoning

Poisoning in Dogs

The thought that your dog could be poisoned is terrible for any dog ​​owners, but there are also various dangers at home. For example, did you know that even small amounts of xylitol can be fatal for your dog? This type of sugar is said to be healthier than normal sugar for humans. For this reason, xylitol is increasingly finding its way into thousands of households, which also increases the risk that your dog will come into contact with xylitol. For example, you might have used it to bake a cake and let him try a bit of it.

In addition to poisonous foods, there are also various drugs from human that are absolutely harmful for dogs. It is all the more important that you always store medicines safely so that they are not accessible to your dog.

The top priority in the event of poisoning in your dog is that you take the symptoms seriously and see a veterinarian immediately. Every second counts! Therefore, you should definitely not waste time doing your own research or searching for first aid measures in the Internet. Only the veterinarian can decide which medication or measures are the right ones.

Toxic Substances for Your Dog

“What is okay with me cannot harm my dog.” Many dog ​​owners have these thoughts, but that is wrong. Although there are a few similarities between our organism and that of a dog, there are also major differences. Your dog is not allowed to eat or drink everything that you can eat.

In addition to incompatible foods, there are other things in the human household that are poisonous to your dog.

No chocolate for dogs
Don’t feed chocolate to your dog. It’s dangerous!

These household toxins include:

  • Food : dark chocolate, xylitol, avocado
  • Medicines: aspirin, ibuprofen, paracetamol, beta blockers
  • Plants : cyclamen, rubber tree, lilies, poinsettia, hydrangea
  • Cleaning and washing detergent
  • Tobacco and cigarettes
  • Slug pellets, lawn fertilizer

You can see that everyday things also pose a threat to your dog, for example slug pellets. Although slug pellets already looks poisonous to our eyes, dogs actually eat them for their taste.

What To Do If My Dog is Poisoned

The most important measure is of course to prevent poisoning as much as possible. Better prevention than cure. However, despite all the precautionary measures, dog poisoning can still occur. Everything in life cannot be controlled 100%. Therefore, in order to act properly, you need to identify possible symptoms quickly. Unlike a broken leg or an open wound, the symptoms aren’t that obvious as you see. In order to perceive it, you need to be able to distinguish subtle differences from your dog’s normal behavior.

For example, after a walk, your dog will usually go to his water bowl, have a drink and then lie down in his favorite spot for a nap. But today he’s acting weird. He is restless, panting and drooling heavily, which is unusual. That can be an indication that he has suffered from poisoning.

Other symptoms can include:

  • Vomit
  • Severe tremor
  • Shortness of breath
  • Unconsciousness
  • Tongue discolored blue
  • severe diarrhea
  • Fever
  • Pale gums
  • Signs of paralysis
  • Cramps
  • Pupillary change (greatly enlarged or reduced)

If you notice unusual behavior in your dog and you suspect it could be poisoning, you have to act quickly.

a dog is sniffing
Your dog may find poisonous food while walking.

1.Feed Activated Charcoal to Your Dog

This first aid measure is only helpful if your dog has just eaten something poisonous. If poisoning happens long ago, you should proceed to next measures so as not to waste valuable time.

The charcoal causes the poison to be bound in the digestive tract. The dosage you should feed to your dog is one gram for every kilogram of your dog’s body weight. For a dog weighing 20 kg, that’s 20g of activated charcoal. It is best to make these charcoals as small as possible and mix them with water or liver sausage. Now you can give this mixture to your dog’s mouth with a syringe.

Activated charcoal is an essential part of your dog’s emergency pharmacy.

2.Check your dog’s pulse, body temperature, and breathing.

If the body temperature is too low, cover your dog with a sweater, blanket, or something else.

3.Make sure your dog’s airway is clear.

You should never put a muzzle on your dog, as he could suffocate if he vomits.

4.Analysize the vomit.

For the doctor, the analysis of the vomit can provide important information about the poison.

5.In no case should you make the dog vomit.

Depending on the poison bait or substance, the esophagus could be injured or burned.

In the event of poisoning, the most important action is to get your dog to a veterinarian as soon as possible. Your own measures are very limited. You should definitely not try any remedies or waste valuable time researching in online forums. When your dog is poisoned, every second really counts to save your dog’s life.

If you are traveling with your dog, you should take special precautions, especially in rural areas. In some regions, placing poison bait is still a normal thing.

Poisoning can lead to unconsciousness

Tip:
You should always have the phone number of a veterinarian at hand, even when traveling abroad. Find out in advance where the nearest vet is and save their number on your mobile phone.

How to recognize poisoning in your dog is explained to you very well in the “Anti-Poison Bait” webinar series of the Poison Bait Radar. In the various webinars, you will find out, among other things, which regions are frequently affected by poisonous bait, how to report locations correctly and what the proper first aid measures look like in the event of poisoning.

This Is How You Prevent Dog Poisoning

To prevent poisoning, you can take various precautionary measures and thereby significantly reduce the risk. The most important thing is that you are well informed. Many dogs are sick because their owners fed them chocolate. That can be avoided if you know toxic substances. This also includes your medication, which you should always keep out of reach of your dog.

Another measure to prevent poison bait is training your dog not to eat any food it finds while walking. It can be useful to wear a muzzle, both during training and as personal protection.

If you have just taken in a puppy, the following applies: put away everything that could be interesting but dangerous for him! This includes not only food but also plants. After all, many of the little rascals nibble at everything and are therefore exposed to a particularly high risk of eating the wrong thing. This is why you shouldn’t let your puppy run around in the garden unattended, as it could eat poisonous plants or flowers.

muzzle your dog
A muzzle protects your dog against any poisonous susbtances.

Conclusion

Unfortunately, I have already experienced poisoning in my dog and I know how much I was struggling with my own fear at that moment. It is important to have a clear head and not to waste time.

In many cases, taking the right steps can save your dog’s life, but your options are limited. Therefore, if you suspect poisoning, always go to a veterinarian immediately.